Northern Suburbs News
Anti-Israeli ads up at several Metro-North stations
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The controversial posters along the platforms at several Metro-North train stations went up this week with an anti-Israeli message.
The timing is particularly hateful, going up as Jews celebrate Passover.
The ads can be found in New York and Connecticut, but the states at the heart of this campaign are the Jewish state of Israel and the battle for a Palestinian state.
A group called American Muslims for Palestine paid for the billboards, which are displayed at 25 Metro-North stations.
The ads call for the end of U.S. aid to Israel and label the treatment of Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza as apartheid, the form of racial segregation that existed in South Africa.
A quote from Bishop Desmond Tutu is even featured.
This is the latest in a back and forth exchange by groups on both sides of the Mideast conflict.
This summer, Metro-North stations featured pro-Israel billboards paid for by two separate Jewish groups.
Some criticized the ads as being anti-Islam.
Regardless of position, some question the effectiveness of such displays.
The ads also feature a disclaimer by the MTA stating the agency does not endorse the views expressed.
As for commuters, they understand freedom of speech.
israel, metro north, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- At least 2 dead, 18 hurt in East Harlem explosion 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 6 min ago
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion 38 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 42 min ago
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase 42 min ago