Northern Suburbs News
Anti-Israeli ads up at several Metro-North stations
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The controversial posters along the platforms at several Metro-North train stations went up this week with an anti-Israeli message.
The timing is particularly hateful, going up as Jews celebrate Passover.
The ads can be found in New York and Connecticut, but the states at the heart of this campaign are the Jewish state of Israel and the battle for a Palestinian state.
A group called American Muslims for Palestine paid for the billboards, which are displayed at 25 Metro-North stations.
The ads call for the end of U.S. aid to Israel and label the treatment of Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza as apartheid, the form of racial segregation that existed in South Africa.
A quote from Bishop Desmond Tutu is even featured.
This is the latest in a back and forth exchange by groups on both sides of the Mideast conflict.
This summer, Metro-North stations featured pro-Israel billboards paid for by two separate Jewish groups.
Some criticized the ads as being anti-Islam.
Regardless of position, some question the effectiveness of such displays.
The ads also feature a disclaimer by the MTA stating the agency does not endorse the views expressed.
As for commuters, they understand freedom of speech.
israel, metro north, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo 58 min ago
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 20 min ago
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos