Northern Suburbs News
Fire destroys home of Newtown shooting survivors
NEWTOWN -- A Newtown home destroyed by a fire this week was owned by a couple whose children survived the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in December.
The News-Times of Danbury reports that Wednesday afternoon's fire left Hans and Audra Barth and their three children homeless. The American Red Cross has put them up in a hotel.
Two of their children attended Sandy Hook Elementary School, including a first-grader in teacher Kaitlin Roig's classroom. Roig has been called a hero for barricading her students in a bathroom as the shooter killed 20 other first-graders and six educators.
Friends say the family lost everything in the fire, and their pet dog and several baby chickens died.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
For more information please visit:
Barth Family Fund at http://www.gofundme.com/2fns60.
St. Rose of Lima Church is accepting donations.
Make checks payable to St. Rose of Lima and note "Barth Family" on the memo line.
The church's address is: St. Rose of Lima
Attn: "Barth Family"
46 Church Hill Road
Newtown, CT 06470
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 15 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 2 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
18 min ago