Northern Suburbs News
Bridgeport detective kills rifle-wielding man
BRIDGEPORT -- Bridgeport police say a city detective killed a man who had threatened other people with a rifle during a street corner argument.
Police say the detective confronted the man shortly after 9 p.m. Monday at the corner of Pequonnock Street and Benham Avenue and was forced to opened fire when the man pointed the rifle at him. The detective fired two shots.
Authorities say the man fled but was found a short distance away. He later died at a local hospital.
Police haven't released the names of the man and the detective. State police are investigating the shooting.
The incident was the second officer-involved shooting in Bridgeport this year. Police say two officers shot a man who threatened them with a knife on Jan. 31. The man survived.
bridgeport, connecticut, police shooting, northern suburbs news
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building 47 min ago
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up 59 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Photos: Victims of East Harlem Explosion
- Australia, Kazakhstan join search for missing plane 58 min ago
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote 4 min ago
- Russian media warns of turning US into 'radioactive dust' 4 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon