Northern Suburbs News
New City girl stabbed by mom released from hospital
NEW CITY (WABC) -- A 7-year-old Rockland County girl who was stabbed by her mother is out of the hospital Tuesday.
Ava Sangavaram has been in the hospital for more than a month after police say her mother, Victoria Vovchik, attacked the girl before killing herself.
They're hoping to learn more about the brutal stabbing now that Ava is home from the hospital.
Ava suffered several stab wounds when her mothe tuned on her with a weapon on Thursday at their upscale New City home, about 30 miles from Manhattan, police said. Vovchik then stabbed herself to death, they said.
The Rockland County medical examiner said Vovchik died from two self-inflicted wounds in her neck.
The victims were discovered by Ava's father, Kristappa Sangavaram, a New Jersey anesthesiologist. He had been alerted by Ava's school that she was absent, and he went to the home to check on her, Fratianni said.
Sangavaram and Vovchik had never been married, Fratianni said.
new city, stabbing, suicide, child injured, northern suburbs news
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad 33 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Nativity theft being investagated as hate crime 34 min ago
- Bloomberg rides 7 train to station he helped build
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos