Northern Suburbs News
New City girl stabbed by mom released from hospital
NEW CITY (WABC) -- A 7-year-old Rockland County girl who was stabbed by her mother is out of the hospital Tuesday.
Ava Sangavaram has been in the hospital for more than a month after police say her mother, Victoria Vovchik, attacked the girl before killing herself.
They're hoping to learn more about the brutal stabbing now that Ava is home from the hospital.
Ava suffered several stab wounds when her mothe tuned on her with a weapon on Thursday at their upscale New City home, about 30 miles from Manhattan, police said. Vovchik then stabbed herself to death, they said.
The Rockland County medical examiner said Vovchik died from two self-inflicted wounds in her neck.
The victims were discovered by Ava's father, Kristappa Sangavaram, a New Jersey anesthesiologist. He had been alerted by Ava's school that she was absent, and he went to the home to check on her, Fratianni said.
Sangavaram and Vovchik had never been married, Fratianni said.
new city, stabbing, suicide, child injured, northern suburbs news
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 53 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 48 min ago
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Malaysia asks countries for radar data to help find jet
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos