Northern Suburbs News
Thruway crackdown on calling, texting while driving
ALBANY -- Troopers will be stepping up patrols on the New York Thruway to nab motorists using cellphones while driving.
State Police Troop T says "Operation Hang Up" will kick in Monday and continue through next Sunday.
Police say texting or talking on mobile devices continue to be growing problems despite the clear hazards.
Cell phone use and texting are responsible for a significant proportion of traffic crashes, injuries and deaths.
Troop T issued 150,000 tickets last year, approximately 4,664 of which were for cell phone violations.
texting while driving, distracted driving, northern suburbs news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act