Northern Suburbs News
Thruway crackdown on calling, texting while driving
ALBANY -- Troopers will be stepping up patrols on the New York Thruway to nab motorists using cellphones while driving.
State Police Troop T says "Operation Hang Up" will kick in Monday and continue through next Sunday.
Police say texting or talking on mobile devices continue to be growing problems despite the clear hazards.
Cell phone use and texting are responsible for a significant proportion of traffic crashes, injuries and deaths.
Troop T issued 150,000 tickets last year, approximately 4,664 of which were for cell phone violations.
texting while driving, distracted driving, northern suburbs news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 27 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 27 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures 28 min ago
- NJ Transit delays due to problems on Portal Bridge
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 1 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
22 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos