Northern Suburbs News
Newtown nearing recommendation on new school
NEWTOWN, Conn. -- Newtown's first selectwoman is asking residents for advice on what to do with the Sandy Hook Elementary School building where 20 children and six educators were fatally shot last December.
The News-Times reports (http://bit.ly/1621DBK ) that First Selectwoman Pat Llodra urged residents to make their opinions known at a meeting set for Friday.
A task force of 28 elected officials has been meeting for several weeks to determine a location. A technical advisory team also is considering a remodeled facility or a new school.
A decision may be reached May 3 or the following week. The recommendation will be sent to the Board of Education. The task force has narrowed its choice to the current Sandy Hook Elementary property on 12 acres and a neighboring site. Children, teachers and administrators are temporarily at a Monroe school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 17 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Charges expected in fraternity death
17 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
33 min ago