Northern Suburbs News
Westchester County offers mosquito-eating minnows
NEW ROCHELLE -- Health workers in suburban New York are suggesting that before residents reach for the DEET or break out the citronella, they put little fish to work in the battle against mosquitoes.
The Westchester County Health Department is giving away fathead minnows on Friday and Saturday for use in ornamental ponds.
The department says the mosquitoes that carry the West Nile virus like to breed in standing water. And the minnows like to eat mosquito larvae and pupae.
Health Commissioner Sherlita Amler says the fish have been effective in county parks. Now residents can use them to cut the mosquito population at home.
The department says the minnows should be used only where the water is at least 8 inches deep.
The county has 100 pounds of fathead minnows to distribute Friday, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Residents who want the minnows should go to 2 Loop Road, Building One at the Westchester County Airport. The building is the first right from the airport access road.
westchester county, northern suburbs news
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 13 min ago
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 9 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident 43 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes 1 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 56 min ago
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 45 min ago
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
16 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
39 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
45 min ago