Northern Suburbs News
Malcolm X grandson Malcolm Shabazz killed in Mexico
MEXICO (WABC) -- Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X, was killed in Mexico Thursday.
Shabazz was beaten to death during a robbery, according to authorities.
The 28-year-old was well known for intentionally starting a fire that killed his grandmother, Malcolm X' widow Betty Shabazz, in Yonkers in 1997.
He was 12 at the time and pleaded guilty to second-degree arson and second-degree manslaughter. He served 18 months in a juvenile facility.
In 2002, when he was 17, Malcolm Shabazz was sentenced to three years in a New York state prison after taking part in a violent street robbery in Middletown, Orange County. He also pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal mischief in 2006 for smashing the window of a Dunkin' Donuts in Yonkers in 2005.
mexico, murder, northern suburbs news
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide