Northern Suburbs News
Man fatally shot by police officer in New Rochelle
NEW ROCHELLE (WABC) -- Police in Westchester County fatally shot a man who they say lunged at officers with a knife.
New Rochelle Police describe the man, who is identified as 48-year-old Samuel Cruz, as "emotionally disturbed".
After police forced their way into his Hickory Street apartment, they say they tried to subdue him with a taser, but that didn't work.
When Cruz allegedly came at police with a knife, an officer fired a single shot, killing him.
It is still unclear who made the original call to police.
new rochelle, westchester county, shooting, police shooting, police, northern suburbs news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub 6 min ago
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 3 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014