Northern Suburbs News
Part of Saw Mill River Parkway closed in Westchester County
WHITE PLAINS (WABC) -- The Saw Mill River Parkway is closed between the Taconic Parkway and Manville Road in Pleasantville in both directions.
Drivers were urged to allow extra time, be careful of hydroplaning and be extremely mindful of driving through standing water. It is difficult to tell how deep the water is, and only a few inches can cause your car to stall.
"Whenever they have a lot of rain, there's always a big problem with the roads," resident Janet Collins said. "It's not just all the people who live in this area, it's all the people who commute through here, and it's really quite dangerous."
Collins lives along the Saw Mill River Parkway in Yonkers. Some of her neighbors lined up sandbags Thursday along Clunie Avenue.
But she says flooding is a thing of the past there, because of city and homeowner improvements to keep the water away.
"The homeowners are always really afraid that they are going to lose a lot of stuff, because there's not much stopping the water once it starts to come in," Collins said.
tropical storm, yonkers, westchester county, flooding, northern suburbs news
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 52 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos