Northern Suburbs News
Part of Saw Mill River Parkway closed in Westchester County
WHITE PLAINS (WABC) -- The Saw Mill River Parkway is closed between the Taconic Parkway and Manville Road in Pleasantville in both directions.
Drivers were urged to allow extra time, be careful of hydroplaning and be extremely mindful of driving through standing water. It is difficult to tell how deep the water is, and only a few inches can cause your car to stall.
"Whenever they have a lot of rain, there's always a big problem with the roads," resident Janet Collins said. "It's not just all the people who live in this area, it's all the people who commute through here, and it's really quite dangerous."
Collins lives along the Saw Mill River Parkway in Yonkers. Some of her neighbors lined up sandbags Thursday along Clunie Avenue.
But she says flooding is a thing of the past there, because of city and homeowner improvements to keep the water away.
"The homeowners are always really afraid that they are going to lose a lot of stuff, because there's not much stopping the water once it starts to come in," Collins said.
tropical storm, yonkers, westchester county, flooding, northern suburbs news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
26 min ago