Northern Suburbs News
Body recovered of missing swimmer in Cove Island Park in Stamford, Connecticut
STAMFORD, Connecticut (WABC) -- Authorities say a 12-year-old boy has drowned in a swimming accident off Cove Island Park in Stamford.
Police Chief Jon Fontneau tells the Stamford Advocate that Rashad Gross of Stamford was found in six feet of water late Friday afternoon, about three hours after he was reported missing.
Fontneau said the boy was wading with two friends near the Holly Pond spillway when the current apparently pulled him into deeper water and he disappeared in the murky water. The police chief said a woman called 911 to report several children struggling in the water. The others made it to safety.
Park lifeguards, divers and rescue teams from several agencies looked for the boy.
Fire Capt. Trevor Roach said water visibility was so poor the diver who found the boy located his body by touch.
Family friends say Rashad Gross was a special kid, who sadly was no stranger to death. He was born a twin, his sibling died. He also lost his mother at a young age, and his grandmother took him in. When his grandmother died, his aunt, who just lost her husband took him in.
Friends say gross had just finished the 6th grade at Turn of River Middle School in Stamford. Friday was the last day of school, and the down time in the water was supposed to be a celebration.
"He goes there often, what kids normally do," said classmate Chrystasha McCalla.
northern suburbs news
- Missing Malaysia jet may have turned back 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt 19 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
15 min ago