Northern Suburbs News
Explosives found in Mahopac home after man dies
MAHOPAC (WABC) -- A street in Mahopac was shut down and residents evacuated early Friday after police responding to an apparent suicide found explosives and weapons inside the home.
The incident began just before midnight Tuesday, when EMTs arrived at the house on East Lake Boulevard. They found 41-year-old Jonathan Orser dead with a shotgun wound to his chest.
Orser was discovered by his wife after she returned from a social engagement. She reportedly told authorities that her husband was a gun aficionado and may have had automatic weapons and explosives.
She agreed to let police investigate further, and officers from the Carmel Police Department, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the Westchester County Bomb Squad responded to the scene at 6 p.m. Thursday.
Inside the home, authorities found blasting caps, low explosive powders, hand grenades, a large amount of ammunition and a large cache of automatic weapons.
A military ordinance disposal unit based in Fort Drum arrived at 5 a.m. Friday to complete the removal. The explosives will be transported to West Point, where they will be disposed of.
Residences in the immediate area were evacuated while the operations are being conducted, and East Lake Boulevard in the vicinity of the residence was closed to traffic.
putnam county, carmel, mahopac, northern suburbs news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 56 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role 17 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
52 min ago