Northern Suburbs News
Explosives found in Mahopac home after man dies
MAHOPAC (WABC) -- A street in Mahopac was shut down and residents evacuated early Friday after police responding to an apparent suicide found explosives and weapons inside the home.
The incident began just before midnight Tuesday, when EMTs arrived at the house on East Lake Boulevard. They found 41-year-old Jonathan Orser dead with a shotgun wound to his chest.
Orser was discovered by his wife after she returned from a social engagement. She reportedly told authorities that her husband was a gun aficionado and may have had automatic weapons and explosives.
She agreed to let police investigate further, and officers from the Carmel Police Department, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the Westchester County Bomb Squad responded to the scene at 6 p.m. Thursday.
Inside the home, authorities found blasting caps, low explosive powders, hand grenades, a large amount of ammunition and a large cache of automatic weapons.
A military ordinance disposal unit based in Fort Drum arrived at 5 a.m. Friday to complete the removal. The explosives will be transported to West Point, where they will be disposed of.
Residences in the immediate area were evacuated while the operations are being conducted, and East Lake Boulevard in the vicinity of the residence was closed to traffic.
putnam county, carmel, mahopac, northern suburbs news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 36 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
36 min ago