Northern Suburbs News
School board to hire new lawyer after hostile exchange
SPRING VALLEY, N.Y. (WABC) -- The vile language and ugly words of the attorney for a school district in Rockland County was the focus of an emotion-packed meeting of parents and educators.
They rallied, they gathered, and then they waited.
Several hundred parents and students packed a special board meeting Monday night for the East Ramapo Central School District. They are furious at the outside lawyers hired by the district.
Last week during a regular meeting, parent Peggy Hatton was shouted down by one of the attorneys.
That was then followed by a hostile exchange full of cursing in the parking lot.
Eyewitness News is told the attorney is paid $250 an hour to represent the school district and that he gets another $250 for his travel expenses.
He works on Long Island for Minerva and D'Agostino.
After a closed executive session, the board announced Minerva and D'Agostino will no longer serve the district but will help them find another law firm.
"We're going to start immediately the process of looking for new counsel," said Yehuda Weissmandl, board president.
As for Peggy Hatton who was cursed at and humiliated, "I'm very disappointed that neither the superintendant of schools nor anyone sitting there on that board personally apologized to me," Hatton said.
"They're supposed to be role models for the children and they are supposed to set standards and what not and I just think it's unacceptable," said Kyeem Dixon, a senior.
Many parents complain another lawyer from the same firm has also yelled and cursed at them.
The law firm was closed Monday night when Eyewitness News called for a response.
rockland county, spring valley, northern suburbs news, lucy yang
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 21 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 50 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 8 min ago
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- FDA proposes first regulations for...
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos