Northern Suburbs News
School board to hire new lawyer after hostile exchange
SPRING VALLEY, N.Y. (WABC) -- The vile language and ugly words of the attorney for a school district in Rockland County was the focus of an emotion-packed meeting of parents and educators.
They rallied, they gathered, and then they waited.
Several hundred parents and students packed a special board meeting Monday night for the East Ramapo Central School District. They are furious at the outside lawyers hired by the district.
Last week during a regular meeting, parent Peggy Hatton was shouted down by one of the attorneys.
That was then followed by a hostile exchange full of cursing in the parking lot.
Eyewitness News is told the attorney is paid $250 an hour to represent the school district and that he gets another $250 for his travel expenses.
He works on Long Island for Minerva and D'Agostino.
After a closed executive session, the board announced Minerva and D'Agostino will no longer serve the district but will help them find another law firm.
"We're going to start immediately the process of looking for new counsel," said Yehuda Weissmandl, board president.
As for Peggy Hatton who was cursed at and humiliated, "I'm very disappointed that neither the superintendant of schools nor anyone sitting there on that board personally apologized to me," Hatton said.
"They're supposed to be role models for the children and they are supposed to set standards and what not and I just think it's unacceptable," said Kyeem Dixon, a senior.
Many parents complain another lawyer from the same firm has also yelled and cursed at them.
The law firm was closed Monday night when Eyewitness News called for a response.
rockland county, spring valley, northern suburbs news, lucy yang
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 31 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 44 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos