Northern Suburbs News
Bobcat spotted in Brewster
BREWSTER, N.Y. (WABC) -- An adult bobcat was spotted roaming near homes in Brewster in Putnam County.
It was around 6 O'clock one evening last week when something caught Bill Wuchter's eye, and it was something unusual indeed.
There lazing on his front lawn was a bobcat.
Wuchter's daughter was able to snap a few pictures from the garage.
Wuchter's house is surrounded by woods and in 25 years he's seen plenty of wildlife, from coyotes to deer and turkeys.
There have been so many turkeys in fact the Department of Environmental Conservation trapped and tagged 47 in one morning, but this was a first.
It's estimated there are thousands of bobcats in the area, so they're not exactly rare. Experts say there are some things you should keep in mind if you see one.
"You have to be careful, they're not afraid of your dog or your cat. As many reports as we get of this, they are taken away, because of animals like this especially in twilight time you have to be careful. It's a timid animal, but not timid enough if he has to eat," said Dan Schwarzbeck, wildlife management expert.
brewster, putnam county, animals, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 54 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 43 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 48 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders 37 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn 56 min ago
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident