Tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown
Newtown, Conneticut -- A community foundation tasked with dividing up donations received after the Connecticut school shootings made preliminary recommendations on $7.7 million that call for giving $281,000 to each of the families of the 26 children and school educators killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School last year.
The families of 12 surviving children who witnessed the Dec. 14 shootings would each get $20,000; two teachers who were injured would get $150,000 between them.
The foundation was asked to divide up $11.4 million that was raised with the help of the United Way. The foundation previously decided to divvy up $7.7 million to the families and survivors and to have committees decide on uses for the remainder of the donations, including whether to use some of it for future mental health care and other needs.
The recommendations were released before a public forum Thursday at Newtown's Edmond Town Hall to discuss how to divide the $7.7 million. Kenneth Feinberg and Camille Biros, special advisers to a distribution committee appointed by the Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation, made the recommendations.
"Is the money adequate? Of course not," Feinberg said. "No amount is adequate to deal with these horrors. Money is a pretty poor substitute but that's what we have. Solomon himself could not distribute this money in a fashion that would please everybody."
The committee met privately before the meeting with some family members. A handful of people commented at the meeting, attended by dozens. Some questioned the process for arriving at the $7.7 million for the families.
"Why isn't all the money going to all the victims? The intent was to give the money to the victims. We're starting from a false premise and this process is re-victimizing the victims," said Caryn Kaufman, who represents a coalition of prior mass shooting victims.
Jeffrey Dion, deputy executive director of the National Center for Victims of Crime, praised the recommendation to provide money to the 12 children who survived the shootings because he said it recognizes the lasting trauma survivors suffer.
Some victims' families have complained the process has caused them anguish by putting them in the difficult place of deciding how to divide the money.
The $7.7 million is expected to be paid out next month.
Get more Northern Suburbs News »
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Home invasion suspect nabbed after Brooklyn spree 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Nasty day on tap 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Verify WATCH ABC; Now on Verizon Fios!
- Independent monitor to oversee stop and frisk changes
- Vigil held for NJ boy killed in SI hit and run
- Man falls from Turner Field stands, hospitalized
- Truck fire shuts down part of I-78 westbound
- Special primary to be held in NJ on Tuesday
- Paula Deen lawsuit has race-based claims thrown out
- Man shot in robbery attempt in St. Peter's University garage
- 'Ocean's 16' workers claim Powerball prize
- Famous face test may help spot dementia
- Photos: Florida sinkhole swallows hotel
3.

- AccuWeather Forecast: Nasty day on tap
12 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
-
Most Popular
-
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos
- 7online home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., WABC-TV/DT New York, NY. All Rights Reserved.





