Northern Suburbs News
Westchester County beaches reopened after sewage leak
RYE (WABC) -- The advisory cautioning against contact with the Long Island Sound near Milton Harbor in Rye and Mamaroneck Harbor has been lifted by the Westchester County Department of Health.
Test results of water samples showed that the water does not pose a public health risk.
People who use the Long Island Sound in this area for recreational purposes are free to resume direct contact with the water and swimming at the following beaches is now permitted: Beach Point Club, Orienta Beach Club, Mamaroneck Beach and Yacht Club, Shore Acres Pointe and Harbor Island Park Beach, all in Mamaroneck; and American Yacht Club, Shenorock Shore Club, Coveleigh Club and Greenhaven Association, all in Mamaroneck.
The advisory had been issued as a precaution because an underground force main break near Blind Brook had released sludge close to where the Blind Brook empties into the Long Island Sound. The Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities took the force main out of service at about 2:15 p.m. on Monday, but repair efforts were hindered by high tide.
Repairs to the force main were completed Tuesday evening and water was pumped through the pipe during the night while workers checked the air relief valves along the force main.
"It is unfortunate timing, we never want these things to happen," said Thomas Lauro, Commssioner of the Department of Environmental Facilities. "But pipes do fail from time to time. This has been in the ground since 1980 approximately."
Crews finished backfilling Wednesday morning and the line resumed normal pumping operations.
westchester county, rye, mamaroneck, heat wave, beach closed, northern suburbs news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 6 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 13 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos