Northern Suburbs News
White Plains rabbi accused of impersonating cop pleads not guilty
MAMARONECK -- A rabbi from White Plains who is accused of angrily confronting motorists with a fake badge has pleaded not guilty to impersonating a police officer.
Alfredo Borodowski, 49, appeared Thursday in Mamaroneck Village Court after the charge was reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor.
The judge ordered a psychiatric evaluation and adjourned the case to the September.
Borodowski is accused of pulling his car alongside a woman's in Mamaroneck last month, flashed a badge and shouted: "Police! Pull over!"
He told police he was angry about her slow driving.
On Wednesday, Borodowski was arrested in White Plains. A driver complained the rabbi had confronted him in a rage in May, claiming to be an officer and displaying a badge.
The defense says Borodowski has bipolar disorder.
In the Mamaroneck case, the woman's lawyer said Borodowski "just laid on the horn and started screaming at her" as she obeyed a 20-mph limit in a school zone.
Police said the rabbi told them, "That girl was driving too slow, and I hate when people do this." However, he denied posing as a police officer.
In the White Plains case, which happened in May but came to light after the Mamaroneck arrest, motorist Peter Moses said Borodowski tailgated him, "obviously trying to make me go faster" than the 40-mph limit. When the rabbi pulled alongside, "He's shouting, 'I'm a police officer. Pull over!'" Moses said.
State police are investigating a third complaint, from Yonkers.
Borodowski has been fired from a position at prestigious Temple Emanu-El in Manhattan. He is still listed as the leader of a congregation in Larchmont.
rabbi, arrest, police impersonation, westchester county, mamaroneck, white plains, northern suburbs news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 36 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
36 min ago