Northern Suburbs News
White Plains rabbi accused of impersonating cop pleads not guilty
MAMARONECK -- A rabbi from White Plains who is accused of angrily confronting motorists with a fake badge has pleaded not guilty to impersonating a police officer.
Alfredo Borodowski, 49, appeared Thursday in Mamaroneck Village Court after the charge was reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor.
The judge ordered a psychiatric evaluation and adjourned the case to the September.
Borodowski is accused of pulling his car alongside a woman's in Mamaroneck last month, flashed a badge and shouted: "Police! Pull over!"
He told police he was angry about her slow driving.
On Wednesday, Borodowski was arrested in White Plains. A driver complained the rabbi had confronted him in a rage in May, claiming to be an officer and displaying a badge.
The defense says Borodowski has bipolar disorder.
In the Mamaroneck case, the woman's lawyer said Borodowski "just laid on the horn and started screaming at her" as she obeyed a 20-mph limit in a school zone.
Police said the rabbi told them, "That girl was driving too slow, and I hate when people do this." However, he denied posing as a police officer.
In the White Plains case, which happened in May but came to light after the Mamaroneck arrest, motorist Peter Moses said Borodowski tailgated him, "obviously trying to make me go faster" than the 40-mph limit. When the rabbi pulled alongside, "He's shouting, 'I'm a police officer. Pull over!'" Moses said.
State police are investigating a third complaint, from Yonkers.
Borodowski has been fired from a position at prestigious Temple Emanu-El in Manhattan. He is still listed as the leader of a congregation in Larchmont.
rabbi, arrest, police impersonation, westchester county, mamaroneck, white plains, northern suburbs news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 43 min ago
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather 27 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
55 min ago
- Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
24 min ago