Northern Suburbs News
3 charged with assault as hate crime in Ramapo paint ball shooting
RAMAPO (WABC) -- Ramapo police responding to a report of a possible gunshot victim instead found a pedestrian struck multiple times by paint balls in what is being investigated as a possible hate crime.
The shooting happened on Rita Avenue in the Village of Kaser around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The victim stated that he and a friend were talking and leaning against the friend's car when another vehicle traveling south on Rita Avenue pulled up to them.
Both the victim and his friend said they observed a male shoot a black rifle at them from the passenger side window of the car about five or six times, striking the victim twice in the abdomen and the car three or four times.
They also reported hearing someone yell "expletive Jews" as they drove past.
The victim and his friend, who are members of the Haverim community patrol, broadcast their situation over their portable radios. Members of patrol who were also in the area followed the vehicle and cornered it on Frances Place in Monsey.
Ramapo police officers arrived and placed the three suspects under arrest.
A CO2-powered paint ball weapon was found inside the car.
The victim suffered minor injuries to his abdominal and was taken to Nyack Hospital for treatment.
The suspects were identified as 23-year-old Shashi Ramsaroop, 20-year-old Lindsey Peaks and 19-year-old Demetrius Latrell Torain.
They are charged with second-degree assault as a hate crime, second-degree aggravated harassment, fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon and third-degree criminal tampering.
ramapo, hate crime, assault, shooting, northern suburbs news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 52 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine 47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos