Northern Suburbs News
Jojo John appears in court in fatal Hudson crash
ORANGETOWN, N.Y. (WABC) -- The pilot of that boat that crashed in the Hudson River that killed two people appeared in court in court Wednesday.
At the heart of this case is toxicology and proper lighting.
Prosecutors plan to present toxicology test results for alcohol and drugs to a grand jury next month.
Witnesses and avid boaters have questioned whether there was enough lighting on the barge in the first place.
Jojo John showed up at Orangetown Justice Court in a neck brace, and at some points cringed with pain.
This is the first time we're seeing the 35-year-old Nyack man since he took five friends on a power boat from Piermont to Tarrytown nearly three weeks ago.
The boat crashed into a Hudson River construction barge near the Tappan Zee Bridge.
A soon-to-be bride and best man both died, just days before the wedding.
"Mr. John and his family will not be making statements, but they do what to extend their condolences to all of those involved," said David Narain, John's attorney.
Lindsey Stewart's parents spoke to Eyewitness News just hours after the accident and are now asking for privacy as they mourn the death of their daughter.
Her fiancé Brian Bond was also badly hurt.
And their best man, Mark Lennon, drowned.
The defendant's legal team explained their goal is simple in this case: find out exactly what caused the July 26th crash.
"We are doing our own independent investigation. We are looking at the barge its lighting we're speaking to witnesses, residents in the area, boaters who know these water ways. Eyewitnesses. We're asking for anyone with information please contact us," Narain said.
Jojo John is due back in court on September 25th.
He's facing felony charges of vehicular manslaughter.
If anyone has any information on the crash they are asked to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
northern suburbs news, carolina leid
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 22 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall