Northern Suburbs News
Memorial held for teen who died of rare virus
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A somber memorial service was held Friday night for a high school student who died suddenly from a rare virus.
About 100 people attended the special service in Poughkeepsie in honor of 17-year-old Joseph Elone.
A preliminary autopsy shows he died earlier this month of complications from a rare tick virus called the Powassan virus.
Health officials say the tick virus is spread by the same deer ticks with Lyme disease.
Its symptoms are similar to the West Nile Virus.
northern suburbs news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 56 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 5 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 8 min ago
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins 9 min ago
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports 44 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
9 min ago