Northern Suburbs News
Memorial held for teen who died of rare virus
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A somber memorial service was held Friday night for a high school student who died suddenly from a rare virus.
About 100 people attended the special service in Poughkeepsie in honor of 17-year-old Joseph Elone.
A preliminary autopsy shows he died earlier this month of complications from a rare tick virus called the Powassan virus.
Health officials say the tick virus is spread by the same deer ticks with Lyme disease.
Its symptoms are similar to the West Nile Virus.
northern suburbs news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- South Plainfield High School lockdown lifted
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos