Northern Suburbs News
Deadly East Fishkill police-involved shooting probed
EAST FISHKILL, N.Y. (WABC) -- New York state police are investigating a deadly police-involved shooting in Dutchess County Monday night.
The incident followed an intense manhunt Monday night for an armed suspect in the area of Carpenter Hill Road and the Taconic State Parkway in East Fishkill.
Police say the incident began with a report of a domestic incident where one of the parties involved displayed a handgun, and responding officers established a perimeter surrounding the residence.
The suspect, identified as 40-year-old John Terzani, was contained in the immediate area outside his home.
The northbound lanes of the parkway were closed from Route 52 to Carpenter Hill Road, and people who live in the area were asked to stay inside and lock their doors.
Throughout the evening, crisis negotiators maintained contact with Terzani in an attempt to get him to peacefully surrender himself and his weapon. Negotiations continued for approximately five hours.
Troopers attempted to subdue Terzani with the use of a taser, which was ineffective.
At approximately 2:30 a.m., police say Terzani pointed his gun at officers, at which time a 7-year state police veteran shot him.
Troopers, trained as paramedics, performed life saving measures on Terzani prior to him being transported by ambulance to St. Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie, where he was pronounced dead early Tuesday morning.
The investigation is ongoing.
dutchess county, east fishkill, police shooting, northern suburbs news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 55 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case 21 min ago
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems 7 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
55 min ago