Northern Suburbs News
Elderly Yonkers man wins $2M lottery prize
YONKERS (WABC) -- A 79-year-old Yonkers man hit a $2.9 winning lottery jackpot after playing the lottery for 30 years.
The New York Lottery presented Iglesias with his jackpot prize Tuesday, at Tmpire City Casino at Yonkers Raceway.
"You have to be in it to win it," said Iglesias. "I started playing Lotto when the game first came out. I won some smaller prizes in the past, but nothing like this. I guess I was right to stick with it all these years."
Iglesias's Quick Pick ticket was the only one statewide to match all six numbers drawn for the July 13 drawing. "I checked my ticket on Monday after the drawing and the scanner said 'Big Winner,'" he explained. "I said 'holy cow' and then signed it right away!"
Iglesias opted to receive his jackpot prize in one lump sum payment totaling $1,824,816 before required withholdings. His net check will total $1,183,521.
Iglesias said his only plan for his winnings is to share it with family. "I worked very hard my entire life. I will use the money to help out my children and grandchildren so maybe they won't have to work as hard as I did."
Iglesias is New York State's 82nd Lottery millionaire in 2013.
northern suburbs news
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
- Police ID suspect in theft of 1-year old's earrings 1 min ago
- NYC baby brought to hospital by parents pronounced dead 17 min ago
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat 25 min ago
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy 18 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela ceremony called a 'fake' 27 min ago