Northern Suburbs News
Elderly Yonkers man wins $2M lottery prize
YONKERS (WABC) -- A 79-year-old Yonkers man hit a $2.9 winning lottery jackpot after playing the lottery for 30 years.
The New York Lottery presented Iglesias with his jackpot prize Tuesday, at Tmpire City Casino at Yonkers Raceway.
"You have to be in it to win it," said Iglesias. "I started playing Lotto when the game first came out. I won some smaller prizes in the past, but nothing like this. I guess I was right to stick with it all these years."
Iglesias's Quick Pick ticket was the only one statewide to match all six numbers drawn for the July 13 drawing. "I checked my ticket on Monday after the drawing and the scanner said 'Big Winner,'" he explained. "I said 'holy cow' and then signed it right away!"
Iglesias opted to receive his jackpot prize in one lump sum payment totaling $1,824,816 before required withholdings. His net check will total $1,183,521.
Iglesias said his only plan for his winnings is to share it with family. "I worked very hard my entire life. I will use the money to help out my children and grandchildren so maybe they won't have to work as hard as I did."
Iglesias is New York State's 82nd Lottery millionaire in 2013.
northern suburbs news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos