Northern Suburbs News
Suspect charged in murder of 99-year-old Poughkeepsie woman
POUGHKEEPSIE -- A man accused of killing a 99-year-old woman in her Hudson Valley home has pleaded not guilty as police say he's a suspect in five other burglaries over the past three weeks.
The Poughkeepsie Journal reports (http://pojonews.co/143IWZL) that 20-year-old Javon Tyrek Rogers is facing grand jury action Tuesday on burglary and first-degree murder charges for the killing of Fannie Gumbinger.
Gumbinger's body was found Wednesday morning after a caretaker suspected something was wrong inside the woman's house and called police. An autopsy determined Gumbinger died from multiple injuries inside the home where she'd lived alone since her husband's death in 2007.
Rogers was arrested Friday and is being held without bail. City police Chief Ron Knapp describes Gumbinger's death as "a truly senseless killing."
poughkeepsie, murder, northern suburbs news
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 48 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized 29 min ago
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line 37 min ago
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism 45 min ago
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
18 min ago