Northern Suburbs News
New York State troopers promise Thruway enforcement push
ALBANY -- New York State Police say they're planning an enforcement initiative along the Thruway starting Monday and continuing through the week until Labor Day.
Troopers along the toll road that extends across the state are scheduled to be in full force and conduct what's called "Operation Summer Brake," watching for speeders, intoxicated and aggressive drivers and those using cell phones while driving.
Captain Michael Eaton says police will also be conducting checks that motorists are wearing seat belts as required.
As the last holiday of the summer season, he says that usually means more Thruway traffic.
new york state, northern suburbs news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 8 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 28 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos