Northern Suburbs News
4 dead in accident on Sprain Brook Parkway
GREENBURGH, N.Y. (WABC) -- Four people were killed when their car jumped a guardrail early Sunday morning on the Sprain Brook Parkway in Greenburgh.
The accident happened at about 5:45 a.m. Sunday on the parkway north of Jackson Avenue, where the vehicle went off the road, struck a bridge abutment by an overpass and burst into flames.
Among the dead includes the driver, 19-year-old Bruno Vaccarezza from Cos Cob and his passengers 19-year-old Fernanda Gomez, a Chilean national who lived in Port Chester, 18-year-old Juliana Restrepo from Port Chester and 20-year-old Vincent Mendoza from Norwalk.
"Clearly speed is going to be a factor. There was significant damage. The vehicle went off the road, and struck the abutment head on," said Troop K Commander Major Michael Kopy.
Major Kopy says there is no immediate evidence to suggest drugs or alcohol as a factor in the crash, but more analysis has to be done.
There were not many cars on the road when the accident happened, and investigators are hoping someone saw something, and will step forward with information.
"We have no witnesses at this point, what we have was originally reported as a car fire," adds Major Kopy.
Eyewitness News went to the home of 18-year-old Juliana Restrepo in Port Chester, where family friends say her parents are devastated.
Autopsies on the victims will be performed on Monday.
It is not clear where the car was coming from or headed to. The vehicle they were using was a rental car.
Investigators say the driver had been in a motor vehicle accident, and had rented the Volkswagen from Enterprise in Stamford.
accident, greenburgh, northern suburbs news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
29 min ago