Northern Suburbs News
4 dead in accident on Sprain Brook Parkway
GREENBURGH, N.Y. (WABC) -- Four people were killed when their car jumped a guardrail early Sunday morning on the Sprain Brook Parkway in Greenburgh.
The accident happened at about 5:45 a.m. Sunday on the parkway north of Jackson Avenue, where the vehicle went off the road, struck a bridge abutment by an overpass and burst into flames.
Among the dead includes the driver, 19-year-old Bruno Vaccarezza from Cos Cob and his passengers 19-year-old Fernanda Gomez, a Chilean national who lived in Port Chester, 18-year-old Juliana Restrepo from Port Chester and 20-year-old Vincent Mendoza from Norwalk.
"Clearly speed is going to be a factor. There was significant damage. The vehicle went off the road, and struck the abutment head on," said Troop K Commander Major Michael Kopy.
Major Kopy says there is no immediate evidence to suggest drugs or alcohol as a factor in the crash, but more analysis has to be done.
There were not many cars on the road when the accident happened, and investigators are hoping someone saw something, and will step forward with information.
"We have no witnesses at this point, what we have was originally reported as a car fire," adds Major Kopy.
Eyewitness News went to the home of 18-year-old Juliana Restrepo in Port Chester, where family friends say her parents are devastated.
Autopsies on the victims will be performed on Monday.
It is not clear where the car was coming from or headed to. The vehicle they were using was a rental car.
Investigators say the driver had been in a motor vehicle accident, and had rented the Volkswagen from Enterprise in Stamford.
accident, greenburgh, northern suburbs news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park