Northern Suburbs News
4 dead in accident on Sprain Brook Parkway
GREENBURGH, N.Y. (WABC) -- Four people were killed when their car jumped a guardrail early Sunday morning on the Sprain Brook Parkway in Greenburgh.
The accident happened at about 5:45 a.m. Sunday on the parkway north of Jackson Avenue, where the vehicle went off the road, struck a bridge abutment by an overpass and burst into flames.
Among the dead includes the driver, 19-year-old Bruno Vaccarezza from Cos Cob and his passengers 19-year-old Fernanda Gomez, a Chilean national who lived in Port Chester, 18-year-old Juliana Restrepo from Port Chester and 20-year-old Vincent Mendoza from Norwalk.
"Clearly speed is going to be a factor. There was significant damage. The vehicle went off the road, and struck the abutment head on," said Troop K Commander Major Michael Kopy.
Major Kopy says there is no immediate evidence to suggest drugs or alcohol as a factor in the crash, but more analysis has to be done.
There were not many cars on the road when the accident happened, and investigators are hoping someone saw something, and will step forward with information.
"We have no witnesses at this point, what we have was originally reported as a car fire," adds Major Kopy.
Eyewitness News went to the home of 18-year-old Juliana Restrepo in Port Chester, where family friends say her parents are devastated.
Autopsies on the victims will be performed on Monday.
It is not clear where the car was coming from or headed to. The vehicle they were using was a rental car.
Investigators say the driver had been in a motor vehicle accident, and had rented the Volkswagen from Enterprise in Stamford.
accident, greenburgh, northern suburbs news
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris 13 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens 10 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian...
10 min ago
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
13 min ago