Northern Suburbs News
Ossining political candidate killed in DWI accident
OSSINING (WABC) -- A 38-year-old woman has been arrested on DWI charges after an accident that killed a candidate for town justice in Ossining.
It is an intersection, but not exactly a crosswalk, and for one well-known area attorney it was too dangerous a road to cross.
John Mangialardi was struck and killed by a driver police say was drunk behind the wheel.
The 55-year-old was a candidate for town judge in Ossining, and a personal friend of the Westchester County Executive, who said he is sick to his stomach over the loss.
Mangialardi was a private practice lawyer in Hartsdale, a former prosecutor in the Bronx, and a member of the New York State Guard who provided legal services for fellow troops.
Two years ago, he lost the election for town justice by just 70 votes.
And so he was performing a campaign function that is a suburban staple, putting up road signs.
Police say Mangialardi had finished putting up signs on the northbound side of Route 9A and was headed back to his car parked on the southbound side when he was struck.
Police have arrested 38-year-old Michelle Sergio of Nanuet who was on her way to work as a health care provider.
Sources say she claimed to have had one glass of sake.
Sergio is charged with driving while intoxicated and second degree vehicular manslaughter.
Sergio is due back in court September 10. She is being held on $250,000 bond or $125,000 cash.
ossing, westchester county news, drunk driving, dwi, accident, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 4 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 1 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness' 28 min ago
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame 58 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 41 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos