Northern Suburbs News
Katie Beers' captor found dead at Ossining prison
OSSINING -- It was a notorious kidnapping case that rattled Long Island and made news around the world.
10-year old Katie Beers was abducted and held captive for 17 days.
Now the man convicted of holding her prisoner in a Long Island dungeon has been found dead in his prison cell.
A state corrections spokeswoman says John Esposito was found unresponsive in his cell at Sing Sing on Wednesday. She says the death was under investigation but didn't appear to be suspicious.
He was serving a 15-to-life term for kidnapping Katie and hiding her seven feet below his Bay Shore, N.Y. home in 1992.
"He put me in this smaller room that was a coffin-size box," Katie told us back in May. Esposito told authorities he planned to 'raise her as my own daughter'.
Linda Foglia says a corrections officer observed Esposito "not breathing" around 3:30 p.m. at the Ossining, N.Y., facility.
He had appeared before the parole board earlier in the day.
Katie says when she received word of Esposito's death, she was indifferent.
"I've been preparing for this day for the past 20 years," she said. "Either for the news of him being released on parole, or him dying in prison."
Katie said she had mixed emotions about the man who, in a way, destroyed part of her childhood.
"It's always in the back of your mind like what if this time, the parole board says he's been in jail enough, let's let him out. I don't have to worry about that anymore."
She would later write about her agonizing experience, get married, and have two kids.
Now at age 30, she says that with Esposito's death, it's time to close another chapter in her life.
"I've had nothing but absolute support from strangers, from friends, from family. It's been phenomenal," she said.
Katie says she is now working as a motivational and inspirational speaker, that she is thoroughly enjoying her job, helping others who are, like she is, on the road to recovery.
bay shore, long island, northern suburbs news, kemberly richardson
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 13 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 48 min ago
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 25 min ago
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 17 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos