Northern Suburbs News
Investigators probe cause of carnival ride malfunction in Norwalk
-
New details on carnival ride accident in Connecticut
-
Investigation continues into Connecticut carnival ride accident
-
Investigators probe carnival ride failure
-
18 injured after Connecticut carnival ride mishap
-
13 injured after carnival accident in Connecticut
-
13 injured after Connecticut carnival ride accdident
NORWALK (WABC) -- Authorities continue to investigate a carnival ride accident in Connecticut that injured several people, including about a dozen children, at a fair Sunday.
The incident happened around 2:15 p.m. Sunday at the Oyster Festival at Veterans Memorial Park in Norwalk.
The popular festival was packed with visitors thanks to the nice weather, and the Zumur swing ride was nearly full at the time of the accident.
The mechanical failure caused the ride to suddenly stop, sending the swinging riders careening into each other.
A panic ensued as parents tried to get to their kids.
"I head a big bang, and the whole apparatus, the swings, came smashing down to the bottom of the swing," dad Ron Lasky said. "And it just kept spinning around. The kid who was running the ride was asking, 'Oh my gosh, what just happened? What just happened?' as I already ran in and knocked down the fence so other parents could get in and start taking their kids off. I removed a couple of kids, but it seemed like they had no plan for something bad happening."
State police investigators determined that an internal component failure in the area of the transmission involving seizure of bearings caused the ride to stop suddenly.
The ride had been subject to regular inspections.
The ride will be taken apart in an effort to determine what caused the accident, the ride's owner said Monday.
Connecticut state police said the owner, Stewart Amusement Co. in Monroe, Conn., has no history of safety violations.
And an official with the successor company of the ride's manufacturer said he wasn't aware of any previous similar problems involving the Zumur ride.
A total of 13 people, including 12 children, were taken to the hospital. Only one, an 8-year-old boy, remains there. Two other people refused treatment at the scene, police said.
The festival's organizer, the nonprofit Norwalk Seaport Association, said it directed the ride's operator, Stewart Amusement, to shut down the entire ride area until state inspectors completed a check. The other rides later reopened and the rest of the festival remained open on its third and final day.
As of Monday morning, the rides have all been disassembled and only a few tents remain.
Get more Northern Suburbs News »
norwalk, connecticut news, northern suburbs news
- Samsung office building evacuated due to car fires 6 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Spotty Shower 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC - Now available on Android Phones
- Search continues for missing autistic teen 41 min ago
- Person of interest questioned in subway attack 26 min ago
- New surveillance video released in Queens sex attack
- Senate leader announces bipartisan budget deal
- Decision day in New Jersey Senate special election
- Lhota releases ad warning crime will rise if de Blasio wins
- CT man charged with making explosives inside home
- Giant sea creature found off California
- Photos: Elton John AIDS Foundation fundraiser
- Photos: Kangaroo jumps around airport in Australia
3.

- AccuWeather Forecast: Spotty Shower
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
-
Most Popular
-
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- 7online home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., WABC-TV/DT New York, NY. All Rights Reserved.





