Northern Suburbs News
Congers students head to new school due to cracks in wall
CLARKSTOWN, N.Y. (WABC) -- Hundreds of students in Rockland County went back to school Monday, but at a different school than the one they registered for.
With Congers Elementary School closed for the year because of cracks in a wall, its 350 students were split up into three different schools.
Huge cracks were discovered in the school's gym wall and engineers say the building is unsafe.
Last week, a meeting was held for parents at the high school down the street because Congers Elementary School because it is unsafe for anyone to be inside right now.
Congers Elementary School was built back in the 1920s, but is literally falling apart.
There are cracks in a loadbearing wall that engineers have been trying to patch up for years.
Over the summer new cracks showed up and engineers determined that the building was no longer structurally sound.
The Clarkstown Central School District had to scramble, with students are going to be divided up by grade so they will stay together in their classes and with their grade.
Kindergarten and first grade will be together at one school, second and third grades at another school, and fourth and fifth grades at yet another school. They are being assigned to three elementary schools in the district.
There's the worry that it will certainly lead to overcrowding at those other schools.
The district says that it is simply out of options.
"I had the difficult task of talking to my children this weekend and they were very upset that they were not going to be attending the same school," said Karen Higgins, a parent, "In fact, I wrote to make sure that my children were going to be together, in the same school, and be at Congers, I chose that school because I love Congers, I love the community there."
"I understand that the school needs a lot of work, but I really truly feel that we as a community need these kids to stay together," another parent said.
clarkstown, rockland county, school closing, northern suburbs news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 38 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 38 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 9 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital 58 min ago
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych...
58 min ago