Northern Suburbs News
Thruway Authority borrows $700 million for new Tappan Zee Bridge
ALBANY -- New York's Thruway Authority board is agreeing to borrow $700 million to keep the Tappan Zee Bridge replacement project under way as federal officials continue to consider providing a billion-dollar loan.
The Thruway Authority will borrow $500 million to repay a loan it took out in February to keep the project moving. That loan must be repaid by the end of September. The Thruway Authority is also borrowing $200 million to cover its cash flow on the project to replace the busy Hudson River crossing north of New York City.
An authority spokesman said Wednesday the interest to be paid by the authority is less than 1 percent.
The Obama administration has been supportive of New York's chances for a $1.5 billion loan to fund the $3.8 billion bridge replacement.
tappan zee bridge, northern suburbs news
- Jersey City water main break repaired 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 1 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 2 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos