Northern Suburbs News
Stamford, Connecticut house explosion caused by gas
STAMFORD, Connecticut (WABC) -- The Mayor of Stamford, Connecticut says a home was leveled in an apparent gas explosion on Tuesday afternoon.
The buildings department was on the scene evaluating the nearby homes that were also damaged near the explosion.
Officials say the homeowner was outside the house, in the rear of the property at the time of the explosion. He was transported to the hospital with minor injuries.
At dusk, the fire still burned in Stamford, five hours after a massive explosion that leveled a Fairfield County mansion and sent parts of the roof flying into neighboring yards.
A shattered window over here, insulation way up there in the tree, and a landscape covered with what used to be a house.
"It was like something out of hell. It really was," a resident said.
"It felt like a mini earthquake shaking beneath me," said Paul Weisel, a neighbor.
From the air, you could see the devastation, a mansion in the hills reduced to splinters when a 500 pound propane tank exploded without warning.
Firefighters couldn't believe what they were seeing.
Since Sandy left people here without power for days, it seems everyone there has installed huge propane tanks, many of them underground. One neighbor said that he planned to switch back to oil after Tuesday's explosion.
northern suburbs news, jim dolan
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 32 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 36 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 25 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while...
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos