Northern Suburbs News
Ossining teacher admits having sex with student, 16
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A high school teacher in New York has pleaded guilty to a rape charge after being arraigned on what was supposed to be his wedding day.
The Westchester County district attorney's office says John Azabache pleaded guilty Tuesday to third-degree rape for having sex with a 16-year-old student.
His lawyer, Tony Castro, says Azabache will be sentenced in December to 10 years of probation and will have to register as a sex offender.
Azabache, of Port Chester, was a math teacher at Ossining High. He was arrested in July when police said he'd had sex twice with the girl.
His planned July 12 wedding was canceled and his ex-fiancee obtained an order of protection.
The school district says Azabache has off the payroll since last week.
westchester news, westchester county, teacher arrested, northern suburbs news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97