Northern Suburbs News
Ossining teacher admits having sex with student, 16
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A high school teacher in New York has pleaded guilty to a rape charge after being arraigned on what was supposed to be his wedding day.
The Westchester County district attorney's office says John Azabache pleaded guilty Tuesday to third-degree rape for having sex with a 16-year-old student.
His lawyer, Tony Castro, says Azabache will be sentenced in December to 10 years of probation and will have to register as a sex offender.
Azabache, of Port Chester, was a math teacher at Ossining High. He was arrested in July when police said he'd had sex twice with the girl.
His planned July 12 wedding was canceled and his ex-fiancee obtained an order of protection.
The school district says Azabache has off the payroll since last week.
westchester news, westchester county, teacher arrested, northern suburbs news
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
12 min ago