Northern Suburbs News
Woman pushed in front of Metro-North train
WHITE PLAINS (WABC) -- Authorities say a woman suffered injuries when someone pushed her in front of a train at the White Plains Metro-North station.
"I'm just thankful that she's alive," said the victim's brother.
Eyewitness News caught up with the victim's brother at Metro-North's White Plains station where, just hours earlier Wednesday, 39-year-old Howard Mickens is accused of pushing the woman onto the tracks in front of an empty but moving northbound train.
The victim's brother asked that Eyewitness News not reveal his identity or his sister's name.
"I know that she is stable. And I know that she will probably be going into surgery for her leg soon, not exactly sure," the victim's brother said.
An MTA spokeswoman told Eyewitness News police immediately arrested Mickens who pushed the 21-year-old college student on to the tracks.
The man is well-known to Gary Waxman, a vendor at the White Plains station for more than 30 years.
"He is a homeless guy who's been hanging around the station here for the last five to six months. About four or five times a week he will come by. He stands out in front and asks for money, kind of threatening looking. Today he decided he was going to flip out and do something," Waxman said.
After the train hit the young woman, an MTA officer climbed down to the tracks to help the victim and calm her down. She was rushed to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.
"What I know for sure is at least several fingers were amputated which they took on ice. Pray God for surgical re-attachment," said Scott, a witness.
Mickens is charged with 2nd degree attempted murder. He is likely to be arraigned in White Plains Thursday.
westchester news, westchester county, white plains, train, crime, metro north, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall