Northern Suburbs News
2 arrested in shooting of 3-year old in Yonkers
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police in Yonkers have arrested two teenagers in connection with the shooting of a 3-year old girl Friday night.
A 14-year old male will be charged with Assault, Criminal Possession of a Weapon, and Reckless Endangerment.
A 16-year old male will be charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon and Criminal Facilitation.
Police say their investigation has revealed that a fight may have led to the shooting.
The victim was among hundreds of people who were out and about on a busy Friday afternoon on Locust Hill Avenue in downtown Yonkers.
According to eyewitness Bianca Guerrero, teenagers ranging from 15-19 were fighting with sticks and blades.
"What the fight was about, I don't know, but there was over a hundred of them," says Guerrero.
Guerro says the violent street brawl started out of nowhere and scared her customers, who hid inside her restaurant during the fighting.
"We had people in here for 1- minutes, we had to close the doors, everyone was fighting," adds Guerrero.
What isn't clear to eyewitnesses is who pulled out a gun, and why.
"It all got out of hand, and it was very chaotic," says Andrea Castillo.
Investigators expanded their crime scene as they shut down several sections of the downtown area. Police say they are questioning two people of interest.
"Right now we're not looking for anybody else. That could change," said Det. Lt. Joseph Monaco of the Yonkers Police Department, "The investigation is still in its infancy stages, it's an ongoing investigation."
The two people being questioned are not being called suspects, and they haven't been charged, but that could change as the investigation processes.
The 3-year-old victim is currently under the care of doctors at Jacobi Hospital. She is said to be in good condition.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, northern suburbs news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97 19 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
1 min ago