Northern Suburbs News
2 arrested in shooting of 3-year old in Yonkers
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police in Yonkers have arrested two teenagers in connection with the shooting of a 3-year old girl Friday night.
A 14-year old male will be charged with Assault, Criminal Possession of a Weapon, and Reckless Endangerment.
A 16-year old male will be charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon and Criminal Facilitation.
Police say their investigation has revealed that a fight may have led to the shooting.
The victim was among hundreds of people who were out and about on a busy Friday afternoon on Locust Hill Avenue in downtown Yonkers.
According to eyewitness Bianca Guerrero, teenagers ranging from 15-19 were fighting with sticks and blades.
"What the fight was about, I don't know, but there was over a hundred of them," says Guerrero.
Guerro says the violent street brawl started out of nowhere and scared her customers, who hid inside her restaurant during the fighting.
"We had people in here for 1- minutes, we had to close the doors, everyone was fighting," adds Guerrero.
What isn't clear to eyewitnesses is who pulled out a gun, and why.
"It all got out of hand, and it was very chaotic," says Andrea Castillo.
Investigators expanded their crime scene as they shut down several sections of the downtown area. Police say they are questioning two people of interest.
"Right now we're not looking for anybody else. That could change," said Det. Lt. Joseph Monaco of the Yonkers Police Department, "The investigation is still in its infancy stages, it's an ongoing investigation."
The two people being questioned are not being called suspects, and they haven't been charged, but that could change as the investigation processes.
The 3-year-old victim is currently under the care of doctors at Jacobi Hospital. She is said to be in good condition.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 43 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 50 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Geno Smith leads Jets to victory over Raiders
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG 36 min ago
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos