Northern Suburbs News
Town voters accept $50M for new Sandy Hook school
NEWTOWN, Conn. -- Newtown voters have accepted a $50 million grant from the state of Connecticut to build a new Sandy Hook Elementary School, the site of last year's school massacre.
The unofficial results Saturday were 4,504 for the grant offer and 558 against. The vote was essentially a formality since a task force of Newtown officials decided in May in favor of a plan to tear down the school and build a new one. Sandy Hook students have been attending classes at a school in neighboring Monroe.
State lawmakers had set aside the money to help the town build a new school to replace the one where a gunman killed 26 people last December. Connecticut officials said the state was willing to allocate all of the $50 million to the new school.
connecticut news, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how! 10 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- Firefighters battle Washington Heights building fire
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Tiempo on WABC-TV