Northern Suburbs News
Newtown school briefly locked in over nearby incident
NEWTOWN (WABC) -- Newtown High School and Newtown Middle School were briefly locked-in Monday because of a local police incident in Sandy Hook, Connecticut.
Police requested the schools be locked in to deal as a precaution with an unspecified incident.
The incident was deemed over and the lock in lifted.
The police activity was confined to Jo Mar Drive, and one person is reportedly in custody.
Nowtown High School initially tweeted: "All children safe. NHS is in LOCK-IN CLOSED. Precautionary - advised by NPD. #newtownhs"
Then, just before noon, the following tweet was sent: "All children safe. NHS is NO LONGER in Lock-In Closed. NPD has informed schools that threat no longer exists. #newtownhs"
newtown, school emergency, northern suburbs news
- At least 2 dead, 64 hurt in East Harlem explosion 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 6 min ago
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem 16 min ago
- Before East Harlem Explosion, resident remembers gas smell 18 min ago
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media 36 min ago
- Video: Dozens injured in East Harlem explosion 28 min ago
- Video: Damages throught neighborhood after East... 28 min ago
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 23 min ago
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
2 min ago