Northern Suburbs News
Newtown school briefly locked in over nearby incident
NEWTOWN (WABC) -- Newtown High School and Newtown Middle School were briefly locked-in Monday because of a local police incident in Sandy Hook, Connecticut.
Police requested the schools be locked in to deal as a precaution with an unspecified incident.
The incident was deemed over and the lock in lifted.
The police activity was confined to Jo Mar Drive, and one person is reportedly in custody.
Nowtown High School initially tweeted: "All children safe. NHS is in LOCK-IN CLOSED. Precautionary - advised by NPD. #newtownhs"
Then, just before noon, the following tweet was sent: "All children safe. NHS is NO LONGER in Lock-In Closed. NPD has informed schools that threat no longer exists. #newtownhs"
newtown, school emergency, northern suburbs news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 40 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 38 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
35 min ago