Northern Suburbs News
Newtown school briefly locked in over nearby incident
NEWTOWN (WABC) -- Newtown High School and Newtown Middle School were briefly locked-in Monday because of a local police incident in Sandy Hook, Connecticut.
Police requested the schools be locked in to deal as a precaution with an unspecified incident.
The incident was deemed over and the lock in lifted.
The police activity was confined to Jo Mar Drive, and one person is reportedly in custody.
Nowtown High School initially tweeted: "All children safe. NHS is in LOCK-IN CLOSED. Precautionary - advised by NPD. #newtownhs"
Then, just before noon, the following tweet was sent: "All children safe. NHS is NO LONGER in Lock-In Closed. NPD has informed schools that threat no longer exists. #newtownhs"
newtown, school emergency, northern suburbs news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent 1 min ago
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 37 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
50 min ago