Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut man charged with making explosives inside Fairfield home
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Joseph Callahan's court appearance was brief, but the legal process is still playing out because of all the materials hauled out of his house two weeks ago.
The 69-year-old is charged with making explosives in his home in Fairfield. On Wednesday, an apologetic Callahan said it is all a misunderstanding.
Federal, State and Local Police spent three days removing chemicals, explosive devices and over a hundred guns from the home. Callahan is a chemist by trade, a gun collector and an amateur rocketeer.
Authorities say there were 250 gallons of jet fuel on the property. On top of that, his lawyer says Callahan is a bit of a hoarder.
In the arrest warrant, Fairfield police say Callahan told them he was making a bomb for Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. His lawyer says years ago, he learned through a friend who had met the musician that Richards had an interest in pyrotechnics.
connecticut news, connecticut, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos