Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut man charged with making explosives inside Fairfield home
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Joseph Callahan's court appearance was brief, but the legal process is still playing out because of all the materials hauled out of his house two weeks ago.
The 69-year-old is charged with making explosives in his home in Fairfield. On Wednesday, an apologetic Callahan said it is all a misunderstanding.
Federal, State and Local Police spent three days removing chemicals, explosive devices and over a hundred guns from the home. Callahan is a chemist by trade, a gun collector and an amateur rocketeer.
Authorities say there were 250 gallons of jet fuel on the property. On top of that, his lawyer says Callahan is a bit of a hoarder.
In the arrest warrant, Fairfield police say Callahan told them he was making a bomb for Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. His lawyer says years ago, he learned through a friend who had met the musician that Richards had an interest in pyrotechnics.
connecticut news, connecticut, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets dozens of suspected gang members 22 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 58 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area 53 min ago
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 36 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 11 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
58 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos