Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut man charged with making explosives inside Fairfield home
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Joseph Callahan's court appearance was brief, but the legal process is still playing out because of all the materials hauled out of his house two weeks ago.
The 69-year-old is charged with making explosives in his home in Fairfield. On Wednesday, an apologetic Callahan said it is all a misunderstanding.
Federal, State and Local Police spent three days removing chemicals, explosive devices and over a hundred guns from the home. Callahan is a chemist by trade, a gun collector and an amateur rocketeer.
Authorities say there were 250 gallons of jet fuel on the property. On top of that, his lawyer says Callahan is a bit of a hoarder.
In the arrest warrant, Fairfield police say Callahan told them he was making a bomb for Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. His lawyer says years ago, he learned through a friend who had met the musician that Richards had an interest in pyrotechnics.
connecticut news, connecticut, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Gunman dead in shooting at Colorado high school 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday 12 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- New York City issues snow alert
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 49 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport 54 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 54 min ago
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday
12 min ago