Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut man charged with making explosives inside Fairfield home
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Joseph Callahan's court appearance was brief, but the legal process is still playing out because of all the materials hauled out of his house two weeks ago.
The 69-year-old is charged with making explosives in his home in Fairfield. On Wednesday, an apologetic Callahan said it is all a misunderstanding.
Federal, State and Local Police spent three days removing chemicals, explosive devices and over a hundred guns from the home. Callahan is a chemist by trade, a gun collector and an amateur rocketeer.
Authorities say there were 250 gallons of jet fuel on the property. On top of that, his lawyer says Callahan is a bit of a hoarder.
In the arrest warrant, Fairfield police say Callahan told them he was making a bomb for Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. His lawyer says years ago, he learned through a friend who had met the musician that Richards had an interest in pyrotechnics.
connecticut news, connecticut, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane 58 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 30 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
26 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos