Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut man charged with making explosives inside Fairfield home
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Joseph Callahan's court appearance was brief, but the legal process is still playing out because of all the materials hauled out of his house two weeks ago.
The 69-year-old is charged with making explosives in his home in Fairfield. On Wednesday, an apologetic Callahan said it is all a misunderstanding.
Federal, State and Local Police spent three days removing chemicals, explosive devices and over a hundred guns from the home. Callahan is a chemist by trade, a gun collector and an amateur rocketeer.
Authorities say there were 250 gallons of jet fuel on the property. On top of that, his lawyer says Callahan is a bit of a hoarder.
In the arrest warrant, Fairfield police say Callahan told them he was making a bomb for Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. His lawyer says years ago, he learned through a friend who had met the musician that Richards had an interest in pyrotechnics.
connecticut news, connecticut, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos 21 min ago
- London theatre roof collapse s; Casualties reported 2 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident 52 min ago
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos