Northern Suburbs News
Yonkers body in park could be that of missing minister
YONKERS (WABC) -- Relatives emerged from a police command vehicle after learning the grim news that human remains found in a park are most likely that of Ethel Patricia Monroe, a church minister missing for over three months.
Searchers fanned out in the park on Thursday after some of Monroe's belongings including ID was found in a heavily wooded area Wednesday night.
Monroe left her home in Yonkers in the early morning hours of July 7th. Surveillance video shows the 65-year old sitting on a bench outside of a pizza shop on Warburton Avenue.
Monroe was in poor health, and possibly disoriented from taking cancer medication. Her disappearance touched off a massive search throughout Westchester. Not long after a county maintenance worker reported spotting Monroe at Macy Park in Ardsley some six miles away.
Police had searched park a half dozen times since July, even enlisting police recruits to help cover its 140 acres. Investigators say Thursday's discovery was made in an area that is often underwater.
The Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy for proper identification and cause of death.
yonkers, missing person, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
1 min ago