Northern Suburbs News
Demolition begins on Sandy Hook Elementary School building
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- There was a parade of construction vehicles for a demolition like no other at site that has caused pain like few others.
Sandy Hook Elementary School is officially being torn down.
Heavy machinery clawed away at the building as steel jaws ripped away sections of the school.
It was 10 months ago when 20 first graders and six adults were gunned down in one of the worst mass school shootings in history.
Earlier this year, the town voted unanimously to tear down the school and build a new one on the site.
Pre-demolition, including asbestos abatement, has already been underway.
Now officials have put in place a protocol to try and keep the curious away and to prevent artifacts from being taken as souvenirs.
There is security of course on site and guards who will even accompany truckloads of steel taken to be recycled.
Contractors have signed confidentiality agreements prohibiting them from discussing their work and from photographing the site.
To that end, all cell phones have to be surrendered at the start of the work day.
Debris will crushed and ground up on location so that nothing identifiable will leave the site.
Some bricks, however, will be recycled.
The work is expected to take several weeks but should be completed before December 14th, the one year anniversary of massacre.
connecticut news, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- NJ man dies in Long Island Sound canoe accident
- March Madness-style bracket rates high school girls 44 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
52 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos