Northern Suburbs News
Demolition begins on Sandy Hook Elementary School building
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- There was a parade of construction vehicles for a demolition like no other at site that has caused pain like few others.
Sandy Hook Elementary School is officially being torn down.
Heavy machinery clawed away at the building as steel jaws ripped away sections of the school.
It was 10 months ago when 20 first graders and six adults were gunned down in one of the worst mass school shootings in history.
Earlier this year, the town voted unanimously to tear down the school and build a new one on the site.
Pre-demolition, including asbestos abatement, has already been underway.
Now officials have put in place a protocol to try and keep the curious away and to prevent artifacts from being taken as souvenirs.
There is security of course on site and guards who will even accompany truckloads of steel taken to be recycled.
Contractors have signed confidentiality agreements prohibiting them from discussing their work and from photographing the site.
To that end, all cell phones have to be surrendered at the start of the work day.
Debris will crushed and ground up on location so that nothing identifiable will leave the site.
Some bricks, however, will be recycled.
The work is expected to take several weeks but should be completed before December 14th, the one year anniversary of massacre.
connecticut news, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 57 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 57 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 46 min ago