Northern Suburbs News
Demolition begins on Sandy Hook Elementary School building
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- There was a parade of construction vehicles for a demolition like no other at site that has caused pain like few others.
Sandy Hook Elementary School is officially being torn down.
Heavy machinery clawed away at the building as steel jaws ripped away sections of the school.
It was 10 months ago when 20 first graders and six adults were gunned down in one of the worst mass school shootings in history.
Earlier this year, the town voted unanimously to tear down the school and build a new one on the site.
Pre-demolition, including asbestos abatement, has already been underway.
Now officials have put in place a protocol to try and keep the curious away and to prevent artifacts from being taken as souvenirs.
There is security of course on site and guards who will even accompany truckloads of steel taken to be recycled.
Contractors have signed confidentiality agreements prohibiting them from discussing their work and from photographing the site.
To that end, all cell phones have to be surrendered at the start of the work day.
Debris will crushed and ground up on location so that nothing identifiable will leave the site.
Some bricks, however, will be recycled.
The work is expected to take several weeks but should be completed before December 14th, the one year anniversary of massacre.
connecticut news, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97 35 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
16 min ago