Northern Suburbs News
Rockland legislator Ed Day elected county executive
NEW CITY -- County lawmaker Ed Day has been elected Rockland County executive.
Day, a Republican, defeated Democrat David Fried in the suburban county north of New York City.
With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Day had 52 percent of the vote to 46 percent for Fried.
Rockland's troubled finances dominated the campaign. The county has a deficit of more than $125 million and a poor credit rating.
Day said he would force every county department to start with zero and justify every dollar it needed. Fried called for economic development rather than raising taxes or cutting programs.
Day is a retired New York City police detective commander. He was also chief of detectives in Baltimore.
Day succeeds incumbent Republican Scott Vanderhoef, who did not seek re-election.
northern suburbs news
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault 25 min ago
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
59 min ago