Northern Suburbs News
Rockland legislator Ed Day elected county executive
NEW CITY -- County lawmaker Ed Day has been elected Rockland County executive.
Day, a Republican, defeated Democrat David Fried in the suburban county north of New York City.
With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Day had 52 percent of the vote to 46 percent for Fried.
Rockland's troubled finances dominated the campaign. The county has a deficit of more than $125 million and a poor credit rating.
Day said he would force every county department to start with zero and justify every dollar it needed. Fried called for economic development rather than raising taxes or cutting programs.
Day is a retired New York City police detective commander. He was also chief of detectives in Baltimore.
Day succeeds incumbent Republican Scott Vanderhoef, who did not seek re-election.
northern suburbs news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets 27 min ago
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win