Northern Suburbs News
Bronx three-car accident leaves 2 dead
BRONX (WABC) -- Two people have been killed and three others injured in a three-car accident on the Hutchinson River Parkway in the Bronx.
Three people involved in this horrific crash, including the driver who police say caused it, were taken to Jacobi Medical Center and are expected to be okay.
Eyewitness News spoke with the family of one of the victims who was killed a limo driver who'd come to this country for a better life.
Instead his life was cut short while he was doing his job, earning money for his family.
Police say there was no way 51-year-old Ata Noorzi and his passenger 54-year-old Patrick Sheehan of Larchmont could have survived.
Both died instantly around 7 am Saturday as they traveled in the southbound lanes of the Hutchinson Parkway near Orchard Beach Road.
Police say the driver of an out-of-control Ford Explorer jumped the median and crashed into Noorzi's towncar.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that the 45-year-old in the SUV was speeding, driving more than 90 miles an hour.
At Noorzi's home in Queens, shock turned to mourning.
The family was too distraught to talk on-camera but Eyewitness News spoke to his neighbor.
"He'd go out of his way always offering to help you, if you were you carrying something. Whatever had to be done, he was always willing to do something to that effect," said Ed Benedict.
His family says Noorzi came to the U.S. from Afghanistan.
He left his country in 1979 when the Soviets invaded.
He built a life for himself here, running his own car service, being a father to four children, but in a split second it was all taken from him.
"I just pray for him, and i'm so sad about him," adds Benedict.
The driver of the SUV that caused the crash has not been charged, but police tell us the investigation is ongoing.
A 49-year-old woman and a 15-year-old boy traveling in a GMC were also hurt when they hit Noorzi's towncar.
They are also expected to recover.
bronx news, hutchinson river parkway, northern suburbs news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos