Northern Suburbs News
Bronx three-car accident leaves 2 dead
BRONX (WABC) -- Two people have been killed and three others injured in a three-car accident on the Hutchinson River Parkway in the Bronx.
Three people involved in this horrific crash, including the driver who police say caused it, were taken to Jacobi Medical Center and are expected to be okay.
Eyewitness News spoke with the family of one of the victims who was killed a limo driver who'd come to this country for a better life.
Instead his life was cut short while he was doing his job, earning money for his family.
Police say there was no way 51-year-old Ata Noorzi and his passenger 54-year-old Patrick Sheehan of Larchmont could have survived.
Both died instantly around 7 am Saturday as they traveled in the southbound lanes of the Hutchinson Parkway near Orchard Beach Road.
Police say the driver of an out-of-control Ford Explorer jumped the median and crashed into Noorzi's towncar.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that the 45-year-old in the SUV was speeding, driving more than 90 miles an hour.
At Noorzi's home in Queens, shock turned to mourning.
The family was too distraught to talk on-camera but Eyewitness News spoke to his neighbor.
"He'd go out of his way always offering to help you, if you were you carrying something. Whatever had to be done, he was always willing to do something to that effect," said Ed Benedict.
His family says Noorzi came to the U.S. from Afghanistan.
He left his country in 1979 when the Soviets invaded.
He built a life for himself here, running his own car service, being a father to four children, but in a split second it was all taken from him.
"I just pray for him, and i'm so sad about him," adds Benedict.
The driver of the SUV that caused the crash has not been charged, but police tell us the investigation is ongoing.
A 49-year-old woman and a 15-year-old boy traveling in a GMC were also hurt when they hit Noorzi's towncar.
They are also expected to recover.
bronx news, hutchinson river parkway, northern suburbs news
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 57 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos